Sunday 25 November 2007

She Sleeps

I think she's watching
But it's just my reflection
Opaque against the gloom

She rests, breathes deep and gentle
Eyes closed but not afraid
Dead to the world... but not to me

In my mind my hand penetrates glass
Softly brushing her cheek
She stirs, even smiles

Light fills my vision, scalding my eyes
I hear her scream, muffled through the glass
Like cotton wool in my ears

Regaining my sight just in time
Receiving a blow to my temple
Collapse into a heap on damp grass

Hauled to my feet I lash out
My fist interacting with flesh and bone
A dull thud suggests victory

That scream again, clearer now
Piercing my hazy vision
Flailing hands beat my face and chest

Again I lash out, pushing this time
She trips. Skull fractures. Blood spills.
All is still.

I crouch down; she lies motionless
This I did not intend
If I make a sound while I weep, I do not hear it

She sleeps, forever, by my hand.

No comments: